Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Stacie's email and pictures August 18, 2015







Buenos dias mi familia querida! 

Happy Birthday Alec! I can't believe that cute boy is already 2 years old!
 
This morning my companion and I found a baby lizard wandering around our apartment. I spend the morning studying with it in my hands. What a great start to the week huh? I find a lot of joy in my missionary work, a lot more than I thought I would before I started my mission. There is such a special feeling of love and protection that always surrounds me, and I miraculously have never felt unsafe here in South Tucson. I found a quote this week by Richard G. Scott that said "Missionaries are literally in the hands of the Lord". And it is so true! I literally feel the arms of his love around me, and I know I'm in good hands :) 

Joceline came to church yesterday!!! I was actually pretty surprised. So far, I have seen a lot of desire in her, and not really any action. And she brought her friend who was asking us lots of questions about the sacrament. We have an appointment to meet with both of them tomorrow!

On Thursday I learned a powerful lesson from the Patriarch, Hermano Lopez, who was out doing visits with us. Hermano Lopez is about 85 years old and has to walk with a cane. He's a convert to the church so he never had the opportunity to serve as a full-time missionary, but he's close to one of the best missionaries I've ever seen.  This particular day was super hot, it had to have been over 110 degrees-or that's what it felt like! We had to do a lot of walking because there weren't too many people in their homes for some reason. He wore a smile from ear to ear the whole time we were knocking on doors. He was just so happy to be out working for the Lord. The whole time, we were feeling the heat of the sun, beads of sweat pouring down our backs, mosquitoes eating us alive, and we had forgotten water, so we were SO thirsty! We had been in this condition for about half an hour, trying to find someone-anyone- to teach, when I turned around and apologized for him having to be out in the sun walking so much without even being able to teach anyone yet. Without skipping a step, he replied, "After how much the Savior sacrificed for me, it is a real blessing to sacrifice just a little for him". What a wonderful example he had just set for me and my companion. Sometimes it's easy for me to give in to some of the physical trials that I have. It was a great reminder to me to be grateful in every circumstance, and to remember how much the Lord has done for me! 
   
​Right before we ended this knocking streak we found Veronica
, who we feel has been really prepared to hear the Gospel and it was 
​such ​
a beautiful lesson
​!​
 Toward the end of the lesson, she told us that she has no doubt in her mind that God loves her, but she's always felt like she was missing something, like there was something more that He wanted her to do. In that moment, I knew with my whole heart that we were guided by the Spirit to teach her and help her fill that gap that she feels in her life. 

We also got to teach the 3-year-old primary kids yesterday, I just feel so blessed. 

We are looking forward to a busy week! We have a lot of appointments, and are so excited to get things moving in this area! I love you all so much!

Love, Hermana Townley

No comments:

Post a Comment