Monday, February 1, 2016

Stacie's email January 25, 2016

Buenos Dias mis queridos amigos!

Sometimes it is really hard for me to know how to put into words all
of the feelings I have in my heart that I would like to share with you
all. I learn so much every single day, and so much happens in a single
week so it's hard to keep up! I had a great start to the week though
when we went to the temple in Gila Valley, I just love it there!

This week we had a world-wide missionary conference, which reminded me
of the simplicity of the gospel. We discussed basic doctrinal
principles that helped me remember to keep my lessons simple, and to
bear simple but powerful testimony. That, in combination with my
experiences in teaching a specific less active family, I was prompted
to study and learn to apply the power of bearing testimony of basic
gospel truths. As missionaries, one of our top priorities is to help
others remember their baptismal covenants: When we are baptized, we
promise that we will be “Willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea,
and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as
witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places
that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God,
and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have
eternal life.” Or in other words, be charitable and compassionate,
always bear testimony of Jesus Christ (in word and deed), and endure
to the end.

As it applies to my missionary work, I really wanted to focus on and
understand my part of the promises I made to Heavenly Father when I
was 8 years old as well. While studying in the Book of Mormon, I
realized that the examples of Nephi, Abinadi, Alma, Amulek, and the
sons of Mosiah applies to almost every situation I find myself in as a
missionary. They were bold witnesses of Jesus Christ despite the
persecution, ridicules and mockeries. They stood up for what they
believed in and they never backed down or hesitated to open their
mouths to bear simple, but incredibly powerful, testimony. They were
not people-pleasers. These are great examples to me of how I should
remember and actively strive to keep my baptismal covenants.

Bearing testimony of the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus
Christ is the most powerful tool we have as missionaries to help
people come unto Christ. I love the counsel given to us by the Lord
himself: “Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not” (D&C
6:36).

This week my companion and I have been working on bearing witness of
Jesus Christ and the Restored gospel at every door we knock on and to
every person that we talk to. The more I do it, the less fear I have.
There has been a bit of a different feel to our missionary work as we
have done this too; we get more doors slammed in our face, but the
quality of the lessons that we have has gone up. The Spirit is
stronger with us.

I hope this email has inspired each of you to ponder again on the
sacred promises that you made with Heavenly Father when you decided to
be baptized. I strongly encourage each of you to recommit to keeping
your end of the covenant so that the Lord is able to freely shower all
of the many blessings that He has prepared to those who are faithfully
striving to endure to the end.

¡Que Dios les bendiga abundantemente en sus esfuerzos!

Con mucho amor, Hermana Townley

No comments:

Post a Comment